Sunday 27 March 2011

I HEART CAMBODIA

Everyone has limits and I hit mine today.  I was done with being a grungy/stinky/hippie, I was in desperate need to embrace all things girly and anti-backpacker.  I strapped on a pair of platforms, jewelry, clean clothes, makeup and went shopping.  I had hit the grunge wall...Matt was a good sport, and he definitely comes in handy when trying to barter (he is one stubborn and hard bargaining SOB).  I didn't come away with much, I'm not really in the market for tiger balm ointment or elephant printed silk pillows.  But, it was still a great and surprisingly cool experience and a nice change from visiting all the tourist sites and temples.

We had been planning to visit the a local orphanage tonight.  I had been mentally preparing myself all day. I knew it would be a very emotional experience, but I had no idea just how much it would impact me, we were there for a whole two minutes before my eyes swelled up with tears.  The kids put on a show for us, they did a few traditional Cambodian dances, and also played a few typical folk songs.  Many of the performers were young and talented, they danced and sang as professionals... Honestly, a great cause run by some very giving and professional people.  We got to play with the kids and congratulate them after the days performance.  I don't even think I can put into words how special the experience was.  It was extremely humbling to say the least.  This was one of the best experiences I have had traveling.  We are going to try to rearrange our travel schedule so we can come back to volunteer for a few days.   Here is the website for the orphanage if you'd like to donate or  check it out:  www.acodo.org

Thanks for following us on this crazy journey!










No comments:

Post a Comment