Saturday 19 February 2011

Tayrona National Park + Scuba Diving

There really isn't much to report lately.  We are definitely in vacation mode.  Matt and I actually had an argument this week about whether it was Tuesday of Wednesday.  Life is good.  Most of our days here have been beach days.  We have met and observed some seriously amazing characters.  I would try to explain but I'm sure I can't do the people/experience justice.  Yesterday we went to a beautiful national park, the landscape was similar to Cabo.  We were on the bus heading back for our apartment, when... Our bus hung a quick left through an intersection and cut off three Colombian teens, all three on one bike.  They were not happy, there was a lot of shouting and fist pumping.  Then... time stood still.  I saw what was playing out but I was too entertained to run.  One of the Colombian teens threw a rock the size of a baseball at my window.  The entire 5ft x 3 ft window pane shattered.  I felt like Cate Blanchett in "Babel," I know it's a bit of an exaggeration, but still, to say I flipped a bit is an understatement.  The bus driver was irate and all the other people on the bus were yelling, "Fight, fight, fight, go get those kids!"  We drove around for about forty minutes searching for them with no avail.  Anyway, a pretty eventful bus ride after a really relaxing day on the white sand beaches.

I couldn't sleep very well last night because I was so stoked about my scuba class that started today.  My day started of with Johnny (our fave taxi driver) picking me up.  Matt is already certified so I was flying solo today.  I felt pretty safe going alone with Johnny until he pulled over at a random spot in the middle of nowhere.  He doesn't speak any English and my Spanish is shotty at best.  He signaled for me to get our of the car and follow him.  I figured he was going to rob me or worse.  Nope, he just wanted to show me an amazing view of the coast.  I felt like such an ass, I keep assuming that everyone is out to get me here.  Scuba was a total disaster.  After a ten minute explanation of all things scuba, they dropped me in the middle of the Caribbean with the dive master, a tank, and an eccentric American dude.  I panicked right away.  The dive master was pretty cool, he tried to calm me down, it wasn't working.  Then the American took charge.  Lucky for me he was a hypnotist, he tried all kinds of voo doo magic on me.  For the rest of the day I struggled along, it turns out scuba just isn't my thing.  I got the hell outa' there on the first taxi I saw, (sorry Johnny).  Matt could tell I was in need of something comforting, he made me some delicious shrimp scampi and showed me all the rip off DVD's he bought today.  Score!  We only had a few more flicks to see before the Oscars, popcorn and movies tonight!  Yay!  We have really been slacking on the photos lately, I will try to post some tomorrow.

P.S.  Matt deserves credit for some funny 'one liners' and editing throughout the blog.  Props Mateo.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment