Tuesday 1 February 2011

Bingo!

As I mentioned I've been very excited for the Bingo/Tango/Latin cover band/Pizza Party held at our hotel last night.  We ate lots of pizza, watched some tango dancing and played bingo.  We played three rounds of bingo, I won the first, my reward, a box of chocolate.  I was pretty stoked considering I never win anything.  We were playing the third and final round,  you could feel the suspense in the air.  It was an Argentine standoff between Matt and a Senora.  It turned out that they both had the exact same Bingo card, so it was a tie.  He said that since I had already won he would just let the lady have the prize.  All the Latin's started going crazy... "No! No! You don't understand mister, you just won a free week at this hotel for four people!"  I was pretty sure that I was totally misunderstanding what was happening but sure enough, he did win a week here!  Aye carumba!  It's valid for two years so it looks like we will be back.  Actually I doubt I will be back, I'm guessing Matt and some lucky friends/family will be back to fly fish.  Anyway, it was such a fun night.  These peeps really let loose, some of the dancing was unbelievable (Matt held his own for a Gringo).  I also found it pretty amusing to see a group of 40 adults so worked up about playing bingo...

Today was also muy buenisima!  We went horseback riding through the Patagonian mountains with a guide named Carol Jones, her grandfather used to ride with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  Her grandfather had a ranch in Texas, then migrated to the unknown lands of Patagonia.  So, we rode all day with a descendant of Texas in Patagonia Argentina speaking English and Spanish wrestling cattle and cooking beef on an open fire.  Carol mothered me all day, she had me in six layers of clothing (yes SIX), she kept telling me to apply more sunscreen to my face, "Annie you okay," she was so sweet.  The horse riding, landscape and dirt all brought me back to the time I spent during my summers at my dad's families ranch in Idaho.  Matt (the ultimate City Slicker), actually acted like he had been on a horse more than twice.  He had Torro (his horse) and Little Blackie (my horse, that's what I named her, to pay homage to one of my new fave movies 'True Grit') galloping like there is no tomorrow!  We both loved it and have some sore butts to prove it. I think we may have seen some exotic deer that can be found on Amie and Jason's ranch. 

Tomorrow we're off to the Iguazu Falls in northern Argentina, it's a long flight and we should go from about 65 degrees to 98 degrees with humidity, but for now, we are chillin' by the lake, soaking it all in.  








3 comments:

  1. I love reading the blog. You guys are hilarious! Keep it up! BTW- you have my email address wrong so I'm not getting the email updates, it's 2002, not 2001. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, my bestest friend, I would be happy to join you for your free week!
    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, of course you're in! Already planning the guys trip next year!

    ReplyDelete