Sunday 17 April 2011

Songkran, Muay Thai and...SCUBA!

We cashed in some Marriott Rewards Points to stay in a resort in Surin Beach, lets just say I always feel at home at Marriott.  It brings me back to the good old college days of late shifts and studying in the concierge lounge.  Anyway, we have been doing all the typical 'tourist' things in Phuket.  We ventured into Patong for a day, it wasn't my cup of tea, a little rough and packed with Euro trash.  I will give a brief summary of our activities here:

Songkran, Thai New Year.  It's basically a giant all day/night water fight, face painting and traditional Thai dancing.  It broke the Guinness Book of World Records this year for the 'Worlds Largest Water Fight', and we gladly joined in on the madness.  It was so fun to see the playful side of the Thai people, everyone was drenched, laughing and happy to celebrate.  We kicked off the celebrations on Songkran Eve, Matt had the idea of throwing water from our balcony onto the kids below.  They loved it and we continued our game with them for a few hours.  Our hotel held a big Songkran celebration, to no surprise Matt was the Belle of the Ball!  All the Thai girls wanted to dance with him, it was so cute!  It was a blast, I felt like a kid again.






Muay Thai, Thai boxing.  This sport is a BIG DEAL here.  Unlike American boxing, Thai boxers can kick, knee and throw down.  At first it was painful to watch but after a few fights I got used to the brutality.  The closest thing I can compare it to is an underground cock fight in San Felipe, Mexico, but I digress.  The boxing was entertaining for a few hours, honestly I spent most of the night studying the crowd.  It consisted of a rowdy bunch of Aussies, Scandinavians and a few dirty old men with YOUNG Thai girls, let's just say we were out of our element.


The day we were in Patong we enjoyed yummy Japanese food and also got 'fish pedicures'.






Scuba, that's right scuba.  Matt was able to get out to three dive sites yesterday while I enjoyed a peaceful day of "alone time" by the pool.  Matt said the visibility was great but that the condition of the coral was a little concerning, the tourism and development has had a negative impact here.  After hearing about his great time scuba diving I decided to give it a second chance.  My circumstances had to be very controlled this time, as in the Marriott pool, English speaking instructor and Matt by my side.  Surprise, I do like scuba!  I eased into it and was sad when my instructor said the lesson was over.  I will definitely get certified when I get home.



All in all our time here in Thailand has been amazing, tomorrow we are off to bustling Hong Kong.  Hope all is well with everyone at home.  

P.S. We are both home sick!


1 comment:

  1. So excited to read through all of your blog posts! Glad I still haven't seen a cock fight in San Felipe.. We need to take a group vacation soon!

    ReplyDelete